Tuesday, March 17, 2009

wmlprvse vs. wmiprvse: Is this normal Microsoft, or a real problem?


Some time after making my posting here yesterday about p.c. slowdowns, my own XP Home computer slowed down and I noticed (with ctl-alt-del) that a process called wmlprvse.exe was executing. It was using about 25 meg of memory. I did have Firefox open on many panels, including AOL mail. I ran McAfee instant scan which found nothing, and I could not find any reference to such an item in McAfee. After closing all the panels, especially AOL, the process went away in about a minute.

Online I found vague references to this process as a “Trojan” and a “threat” and a service called Regrun that would clean it and many other similar perils.

Rooting around more, I found that wmiprvse.exe (note the “i” in the third letter -- Windows Management Interface) is a legitimate windows proxy service. For example look at this explanation on Tek-tips. Ot says “To start a provider, each host starts a new process that is named WMIPRVSE. The WMIPRVSE process loads the actual provider. When you use different hosting models, the WMIPRVSE process is started by using different Windows credentials.” The link is here.

There is another piece on “Fast PC Fixes” “How to Fix wmiprvse exe” here.

Does anyone know about the wmlprvse as opposed to wmiprvse?

Again, my own slowdowns seem to happen when AOL is left open for a long time with Firefox open on may sites. Sometimes Firefox hangs memory at 100%. I don’t think it’s a virus or deliberately introduced malware; I think it’s just old “unsafe code,” perhaps on the AOL site.

It also brings back another favorite (Microsoft) buzzword, "Microslop". I suppose this doesn't happen on Linux.

No comments: