Thursday, December 23, 2010

McAfee Security Scan Plus now offers Site Advisor

Last night, on my Vista laptop which uses Webroot Spysweeper as the main security software, McAfee Security Scan Plus (a free addon) invited me to download and install McAfee Site Advisor. I did so, and now on Internet Explorer and Mozilla the ratings banner shows, as well as on search results from Bing and Google.

Then, when I went to Internet Explorer, Site Advisor encourage me to switch from Bing to Yahoo Secure Search as the default search engine. When I marked OK, IE hung and crashed. When I restarted IE, Bing remained the default search engine, so I left well enough alone.

Except that I now notice a "secure search" box on the upper right, on the IE Toolbar, that goes to Yahoo!

On Mozilla, I see MYWOT (Web of Trust) on the URL line, and McAfee Site Advisor on the lower right. I’ll watch for differing ratings. The "Secure Search" icon (like Sherlock) is also on the lower right.

Also, now I get the "not secured items" display warning box from IE a lot more often (unnecessarily).




Update: Dec. 25

McAfee is now telling me that the encrypted Google page on Firefox has unencrypted content. Don't know if this is an artefact.  And on Mozilla MyWOT is objecting to some advertisers on accuweather.com, even though they are marketers I have seen repeatedly for years. 

1 comment:

SEO Services said...

McAfee is a really virus remover or anti virus, at this time i am susing this software and perfectly running.
MyLife.com