Monday, January 10, 2011

With Windows 7 upgrade, I got Webroot Internet Security Essentials

Today, I got back my XPS retrofitted with Windows 7 (see my IT Market Blog), a bit of a misadventure, but now I have Webroot Security Essentials.

The “PC Security” component includes a Firewall (on top of Windows) as well as Virus Scanning (Sweep) and Quarantine. There is a “Sync & Sharing”, a “System Cleaner”, and “Identity & Privacy” and like all major vendors, it tells you with a green check when “you are protected”. (Some earlier versions of Webroot Spysweeper did not include the Firewall, leaving the user dependent on Windows.

The “Identity & Privacy” includes browser protection against known “blacklist” sites, as well as anti-spam and anti-phishing.

Haven’t done a full sweep yet, or had experience with how the data definition file update works. I’ll keep visitors posted.

No comments: