Sunday, January 01, 2012

Stuxnet is setting an example for many more industrial worms

Again, in the “tradition” of reporting news that I personally witness, I happened to sit on the Metro, going into the New Year’s Eve party, next to a man who said he was an Internet security expert, and that corporations don’t know what is about to hit them.  He mentioned the Stuxnet Worm as one of many such exploits around.
Stuxnet is said to be the first worm to include a “rootkit” for a “programmable logic controller”.  It is said to have been detected first by Kaspersky.

It’s thought to have come from Israel. But the greatest danger for American companies would probably come from China and Russia.  As Donald Trump says, the Chinese are not our friends.

But the speaker on the Metro made it sound as if the kind of hacking done by Lisbeth in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” is now commonplace.  (Or for that matter, Jesse Eisenberg’s impersonation of Mark Zuckerberg at the beginning of another Fincher film, “The Social Network”. That is, “let the hacking begin.”  It takes a certain focus for people to learn to do this, but somehow the rewards (and asymmetric power) become greater than from anything else.

We talked a little about Bradley Manning, and I said that 90% of the government’s secrets are probably overclassified.

A strange thing happened on the way to the "forum", that is, another thing.  As I turned off the last Chrome window on an XP machine last night (before leaving the house for the Metro ride to the Party), Chrome told me it was downloading something.  Downloading what?  I don’t do a lot on the machine, and the last download from Chrome had come in July.  I shut down the machine for the evening, to play it safe while I was out, and when I brought it up this morning, the issue did not recur.  Kaspersky gave me no warnings.




No comments: