Tuesday, April 09, 2013

On a new Windows 8 laptop, two companies have a "beef" with Webroot, by accident



I had a couple of anomalies today with a new Toshiba Windows 8 Satellite laptop.
  
I did purchase Webroot Secure Anywhere product. 

I found, on the taskbar today, and application called “WildTangent Games”.  I thought it was Webroot, which  has a similar icon (both use greenn W's).  It came up and asked me to accept the license for a gaming platform that I have never used.  The link for Wild Tangent is (website url) here.
  
It does get green ratings from major site rating companies. 

I don’t know what trademark laws says about similar notification icons pinned on a taskbar.  I’ll look into this for the trademark blog later.  It would seem that some app ought to be developed to help users recognize them. Different colors could help.  (But then some people are colorblind.)

In the picture above, the green "W" on the left represents WildTangent; the "W" on the right represents W.  By the way, a red curly "W" represents the Washington Nationals MLB  baseball team.  I go to Nats games. (MLB is very jealous of its trademarks, too.)   If you look very closely, you can see the word "games" in the WildTangent icon.


I also don't know how Wild Tangent got pinned as a notification icon.  Security scans show no problems.  Perhaps it is there somewhere and I hit the app somewhere on the Start screen.  The Sateliite laptop does not have a touch-sensitive screen like a tablet version does. 

Also, I downloaded Chrome without incident.  I have not yet used my Google account on the machine. But when I went into it to browse, it listed apps that had been disabled for faster access, and Webroot was one of them. I quickly enabled it.  But no browser should disable a security application from a recognized vendor.  This can be a significant, if unintended, browser security hole that some users might overlook.  
   
I welcome comments (monitored) on these matters.  There should be no confusion about a security product on a new machine. 
  
Microsoft did a major security update on the machine today.  It seemed to take about an hour to download even on high speed Comcast, and it took about 20 minutes for the configuration step to finish on shutdown before the restart.  Again, I thought BestBuy had brought all the updates up to date.  It seems like it hadn’t if the installation of so many updates was necessary. 

The major use for the new laptop will be book production (one non-fiction, one fiction, as I've discussed on my main blog).   Music and film will remain on the MacBook, although as a 2011 machine it seems a little outmoded already.  Is there a good film-editing program for Windows 8? 

This new machine is very fast with most apps and Internet access.  

No comments: