Tuesday, January 21, 2014

McAfee "free" security scan complains to me that Webroot is a second engine

An odd thing happened with my own security setup. 

McAfee’s “it’s free” security scan on my Windows 8 Toshiba now tells me that I have two anti-virus packages and doesn’t seem to recognize that Webroot Security Anywhere is actually on. (Norton is on the machine as it came from Best Buy but it is not installed.  I believe that Best Buy switched the default to Webroot for Windows 8.1).   But it does say that the Firewall is on.

When I check Webroot, it does say that it is on.
  
The Dell Windows 7 Machine also has Secure Anywhere, and on that machine McAfee seems to recognize that it is running, and comes back green, “no issues”.
  
On both machines, McAfee seems to be trying to sell its own anti-virus, which I used until around 2008.  I did find the virus definition updates very time consuming then.

I did get a warning about a subscription two days after an expired (replaced) credit card at Best Buy failed, and I fixed it immediately.  I don't think any coverage was disrupted.  I was out of town and working with a travel notebook (without Webroot) when I fixed it. 


Above, I shared a Webroot Secure Anywhere review, although by a previous Webroot associate. The reviewer says it is one of the smallest in memory, “the size of a fly”. It is cloud-based and supposedly based on the Prevax system. There are core, web link, and usb shields.  The Zero-Day shield is said to identify new polymorphic threats.  Could this system have helped Target? 




No comments: