Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Attempt to go to CNN page results in "Adult" web page loading from adware


Yesterday, when I tried to go to a link for CNN's new interview program with Michael Smerconish, my computer (Windows 8, Toshiba) suddenly displayed a page from "Adult Friendfinder".


A trace of Firefox history showed an ad script from "allextreme.com" searching for ads.  Maybe my cursor passed over an ad on a Google search page somehow.  When I repeated the link, it did not happen again.  I don't think CNN would sell an ad to this side.

Webroot shows the Friendfinder site to be OK, but MyWOT shows red warnings.

The site will show up on Google only on an Advanced search allowing explicit sites and images.  The page that appeared was explicit but appeared to be based on adults.

I don't know how this happened.  I sent a tweet to Webroot.   

No comments: