Wednesday, August 13, 2014

New HP computer shows an unwanted dll member, a mystery


On my new HP ENVY “desktop” with Windows 8.1, I’ve noticed the presence of a bizarre Dynamic Load Library element, “_ocl_svml_e9.dll”.  It appears if I enter the letter “E” on the Windows 8 Tablet desktop as if I wanted to bring up “Excel”.

I noticed this after one apparent hard drive error, which I recovered from by simply turning off the machine and doing a cold boot, which took a little longer than usual.  After that incident, I signed up for the HP Support Assistant monitoring of firmware problems. I noticed that Windows 8.1 Action Center ran on bootup, possibly to mark a hard-drive sector as unusable.   

A little nosing around suggests that this is obscure malware whose purpose is unknown. But a site in Japanese, ExEdb, says, when translated, that this module is inessential and may be left on the machine. 
   

Webroot Secure Anywhere does not flag this module during routine scans.  

No comments: