Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Another browser hijack in Chrome based on a misstyped AOL domain name


Today, I experienced another “browser hijack”.  After changing a password to AOL, I tried to go to the main site.  I must have mistyped the domain name.  I got a “This is a system error” blinking message with an 800 number to call.  It was cleared by closing the browser and restarting the machine.
  
The browser was Google Chrome and operating system was Windows 8.1 on a HPEnvy.
  
  
Webroot scan is clean, because the malware does not actually load an executable on the computer. 
   
By the way, I see that AOL has gone to 2-step verification, and that it seems that old passwords entered before going to it may not work. 

 

No comments: