Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Norton warns me on a sales site that all major security packages pass on


Today, a particular site that I use to promote one of my books gave me a security warning when I checked it on a different computer, at a car dealer’s, while my car was being serviced.'

The environment was Windows 7 with Symantec Norton as the security product.  I do not use that on Windows at home.  However, the same web page was all right at home when re-checked in Windows with Kaspersky, Trend Micro, and Webroot.  I’ll check it soon on an old Mac with Norton.

It seems more common for some security packages to warn on sites for “phishing” or malware even when they seem not to be guilty.  They may be depending just on user reports.

Update: February 13

I checked the site with Norton on an old Mac (OS 6.8) and did not get the error. 

No comments: