Monday, January 05, 2009

More stories about supposedly infected videos


Following on with Saturday’s posting about spyware-infected videos showing up in spam blogs that seem to ride on sensational news stories, I found this item by Doug Aamoth on Crunchgear, dated Dec. 8, 2008 about a supposed “Actns/Swif.T virus” in some videos that would download a phony “Antivirus 2009”. I think I saw that pop up myself about two months ago on my own computer, and I stopped it immediately, and McCafee since then has shown no infection. The link for the story is here. Later Aamoth offered an update about Computer Associates anti-virus as returning false positives on some video files. There is more about this at “Supergeekblog” here.

McCafee has a report on “Downloader-UA.h” which presents fake video and music files here. But I couldn't find "Actns" documented on McAfee.

So I’m not sure yet how all the pieces fit in these stories about infected videos and spam, but they do bear careful watching.

No comments: