Friday, March 27, 2009

ACSLANG (AOL), A0031154 (Dell?) show up in McAfee scans and get quarantined; are these false positives?


Well, today, I found six more potentially false positive “Trojans” on my “Friday morning music club” McAfee scan of my 2006 laptop, which is not used that much.

A couple more AOL backup items were ACSLANG.EXE and ACSSETUP.EXE. I found an inconclusive discussion of these on an Avast! Forum here.

There were three items A0031154.EXE (55, 56) which is in a system volume “restore” folder and seems to have little information but may be related to Dell modules. Similar, there is 6B6A7665-DB48-4 which seems related to Dell. When I pull up the McAfee quarantine list through the Security Center restore function, none of these show up on McAfee’s virus database.

Does anyone know anything about these? I find other references to them on the Internet with no real information.

McAfee keeps updating the DAT files and virus engines, and it seems that it may simply be getting “stricter” and quarantining items that it used to let go.

2 comments:

Bill Boushka said...

I had to reject a comment in Chinese characters with many links because I had no idea what it said.

Comments on these blogs must have enough text in English or in another European language (French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc) enabling me to tell what the comment says. Some pictographic script or foreign alphanets or characters (even Arabic) are fine but I need to be able to translate it to tell what it says (as with Google translate). Excessive links of a commercial nature (suggesting spam) will be rejected.

Sorry about that, I was hoping the comment would help unravel this "mystery".

Thanks.

sarah said...

Very informative and helpful. I was searching for this information but there are very limited resources. Thank you for providing this information

Essays On Dell Computer Corp