Sunday, September 20, 2009

Odds and Ends: Webroot and Vista backups: lightning strikes twice today


My new Dell XPS laptop with Vista ran into a couple more little security-related items today.

This morning, Webroot Spysweeper told me I had never run backup when I had a few days ago. I tried to log in to the backup center and got server errors. But it also warned me about a missed scheduled backup, since I turn the laptop off after bedtime. Once I ran the sweep manually (it takes 30 minutes and usually finds some spy cookies) it showed the backup account again.

(Note: later experience shows that Webroot shows "backup never un" until you sign on, after restarting a system.)

Later Microsoft tried to run the automatic backup, which failed on not enough disk space on the D drive. Why does Dell make this drive so small? The only item left for deletion from D is the Recycle bin. What sense does this make?

(Note: Best Buy/Geek Squad tells me that the problem is with Vista; the manufacturer fixes the Recovery Disk size, and Vista should accomodate it. They say ignore the warnings and use an external backup like Mozy or Webroot for your data.)

No comments: