Sunday, May 09, 2010

Webroot's renewal cycle

Well, I’m a little confused about Webroot Spysweeper’s renewals. I got six months free from Best Buy, and had to start paying in January 2010. That’s OK, but then I had to renew again today, four months later ($29). I would think one renewal for a year should have been enough. I’ll have to call and check into all this. (When I boot up, the Webroot panel still says that the product doesn't expire until Jan. 2011.)

Also, the renewal order comes with instructions to reload a new engine. The website references look legitimate when checked, but I would think it would push updated engines automatically when ready.

Also, the backup stopped working in April, as I have written before; it keeps saying my backup set is too big when it's much less than the 50 G allowance.  Maybe there is a connection.

I’ll check all this out this week and report back. But a four month renewal seems odd.

Update: May 11

I reached Webroot billing support (Boulder CO) today quickly (options 2, 1) and it seems I had duplicate billing records. So they deleted one of them and made a refund.  They transferred me to tech (opt 4) for the Backup space problem, and the wait was 25 minutes (mid day). I'll try that again.

1 comment:

sparker said...

Let me know how your backup situation goes. I just signed up for the backup feature when I added the virus protection to my webroot spyware. The backup downloaded my files fine, but when I tried to setup a schedule for re backing, I go through a 4 step process and when I get to finish, and click Finish on the 4th step, I get a box message saying "Keyset does not exist (except from HRESULT:"80090016) This is a Microsoft message. I've been back and forth with Microsoft instructions given by the Webroot people and rebooted several time and still nothing gets me away from that message and I don't believe I can back the files anymore or set up a schedule for backing. It's frustrating and this is only the second day since I purchased this Webrrot spyware with antivirus.